Thursday, October 30, 2008

Chuck the Writer and the Elbo Room Tournament - Week 8

As I get ready for tonight's next round of trivia at Elbo Room (and its $2,000 prize for the winning team), I am reminded that last week I didn't do so well.

Memo to self - watch a few more John Hughes 80's teen films. I wasn't into them when they came out, so to me "Sixteen Candles" is a song by the Crests, "Breakfast Club" was a group that had a hit with "Right on Track," and "St. Elmo's Fire" is a song that was overplayed about two weeks after it came out. So last week, when the host asked the question about "In the Breakfast Club, what did the one girl give to the guy at the end of the movie," I had no clue and was about to write SKIP on my sheet.

Then I turned to my wife, who I take with me to the Elbo Room games. "Oh I've seen the Breakfast Club so many times," she said. "She gives him her underwear."

Okay...

I handed it in.

Host said that she gave the guy an earring. Lost 8 points, everyone else gained 8 points, 16-point swing to the detriment for me.

Of course, after that Vicki said to me, "Oh wait, that was from 'St. Elmo's Fire.' I get those mixed up because Emilio Estevez was in both films."

That sound you heard was me banging my head against the table. I love my wife, believe me, but answers like that are one of the reasons I play as a solo squad.

Anyways, here's the standings up to date, with the top 8 teams going to the finals, whenever those are taking place (teams in red are outside the Top 8):

  • Mayhem - 14 points
  • STREET ACADEMY - 12 points
  • Big Red Machine - 12
  • Woo Hoo a Go Go - 7
  • Brown Van Experience - 6
  • Tres Hombres - 5
  • Beer Addled Brains - 5
  • Stern Fans - 4
  • Liquor in the Front, Poker in the Rear - 3 points
  • Donna Martin Graduates - 3
  • 40 oz. Bounce 1

No comments: