Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chuck the Writer Prepares for the Vocal Group Hall of Fame

About ten years ago, when I first worked for Goldmine magazine, the editor of the publication asked if anyone would be interested in covering the inaugural inductions of the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in Sharon, Pennsylvania. I figured what the heck, eight hour drive, see a museum, write an article, no probbies.

Actually, the event was more impressive than I anticipated. I watched as surviving members of such bands as the Drifters, the Coasters, and others went up on stage and received honors for their long careers. This was great. I had a blast. And every year after that, I vowed that no matter what would happen in my life, I would be there to cover the inductions for the Vocal Group Hall of Fame.

The next inductions took place in 2001 - the original date of the inductions was September 12, but it was hastily rescheduled after the attacks of 9/11 to a late November induction. Once again, another wonderful time was held. This time I had my own camera - albeit it was my Nikon Coolpix 800 - but I got some great shots of the event.

This year the inductions will take place in Youngstown, Ohio, and will honor the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 classes with four back-to-back-to-back-to-back concerts at the Chevrolet Center. I'm already making my plans to be there - including getting my camera all tuned up for the trip, packing plenty of batteries and digital film, etc.

As we get closer to the event, I'll pass along some stories about some of my favorite moments at the VGHF events.

No comments: