Sunday, April 12, 2009

Chuck the Writer gets some props from a PBL team

The Vermont Frost Heaves of the Premier Basketball League finished their season with a very respectable 15-5 record, and an appearance in the PBL Play-In playoff game. During the PBL season, I photographed seven of the Frost Heaves' games - four at the Barre Municipal Auditorium, one at their other home venue, the Burlington Memorial Auditorium, and two road games (in Montreal and in Manchester). The Frost Heaves are owned by Alexander Wolff, one of the top writers for Sports Illustrated.

So it was a surprise to me when I did my morning google news search and pulled up this article from the Barre Montpelier Times Argus. Actually, let me get the paragraph that really made my day:
"The thing I was most pleased with was the tightness of control on how teams performed as businesses," Wolff said. "We had virtually weekly conference calls in-season that were largely devoted to making sure everybody was operating from the same page. There were some glitches early in the season that got worked out for the most part, and the PBL weekly reports that Chuck Miller would do were terrific. Pro basketball at this level has always had its challenges. Considering this is only the second year of the PBL, there were a lot of encouraging things."
Hokey smokes. A writer from Sports Illustrated likes my work. You can't see it from your screen, but I'm doing the Dance of Joy. Then again, maybe it's a GOOD thing you can't see me doing the Dance of Joy.

Anyways, thanks again to Alexander Wolff and the staff and team of the Vermont Frost Heaves, as well as Anna Grearson of the Barre Montpelier Times Argus, for the kind words. It's really great to be recognized for helping to contribute to the success of the Premier Basketball League.

No comments: