Monday, January 26, 2009

Chuck the Writer and another PBL Road Trip

Up in the morning, ready to roll back to Montreal for another Premier Basketball League matchup. First things first - is it just me, or is every time I go to Montreal it gets colder??

Got to the Days Inn for my lodgings, and after stowing my gear in my room, I decided it was time for lunch. After my last attempt to enjoy a local meal turned out poor (the "smoked-meat sandwich"), I decided to head to the hotel's attached restaurant grille and order something on the menu.

After devouring a hamburger that was coated with a dollop of sour cream (surprisingly tasty), I was convinced by my server to ditch the side order of french fries and instead dine on poutine.

All right, get your dirty minds out of the gutter, poutine is NOT what you think it is.

Apparently poutine is french fries with cheese curd and a gravy-like coating. It's still not going to replace chicken spedies from Binghamton or Yocco's Hot Dogs from Allentown, but maybe I'll order it again the next time I go to Montreal. If the city ever warms up.

Here are some shots from the Montreal-Vermont game, all taken at the Montreal Sasquat'ch home building, Centre Pierre Charbonneau.



I'll post shots from the next game, the Quebec-Manchester game, later tonight. By the way, Centre Pierre Charbonneau is the fourth building in which I have shot a basketball game from the ceiling. The facility has an overhead catwalk, which allowed me to get some tremendous distance shots and a swank "over the basket" photograph or two. Centre Pierre-Charbonneau now joins the Butte (Mont.) Civic Center, the Yakima Valley SunDome and the Sovereign Center in Reading, Pa. as places at which I can "shoot from the roof." Rochester's Blue Cross Arena also has an overhanging catwalk, but they're not letting me shoot from the ceiling in that building - something about a security issue.

Maybe some day...

No comments: