Sunday, May 10, 2009

Chuck the Writer Goes Out for a Photo Shoot

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and I needed to get out of the house. So I grabbed my Nikon D70 and my camera bag, as well as my tripod, and went around Albany for a little photo walkabout. This time, I concentrated on using my Kiev Mir 24-H wideangle lens, currently nicknamed my "Commie" lens.

A little background. Last year I purchased a Kiev-19 SLR film camera and two interchangeable lenses, a Kiev Helios-81 (essentially the Kiev's "kit" lens) and a Kiev MIR-24H wide-angle. Little secret - Kiev lenses that are designed for Kiev's Model 17, 19 and 20 camera bodies are interchangeable with Nikon's F-mount SLR's and DSLR's, they just have to be shot with manual focus and manual exposure, and the camera photo's EXIF information won't list the camera lens (it'll either list it as unknown or "MF", most likely meaning manual focus).

The Kiev lens is a decent little shooter, but it's been kinda buggy. Quality control is lax in the Kiev Arsenal photo plant, so my lens needed to be re-aligned and re-oiled at my favorite camera repair shop, Cameraworks in Latham (Alan, the guy at Cameraworks, is as dependable as a sunrise, I highly recommend his work).

So it was me, the D70 and the Commie lens, traipsing around Albany and getting some nice photos here and there. Just like this one that you see here.

It looks like a giant dog is standing atop an old tire factory, guarding it like a sentry. Fact is, the dog "Nipper" is actually a remnant from the original tenant of the building behind the tire factory; Nipper was placed on top of the old RCA warehouse behind the tire factory in the mid-1950's. The building is now owned by a moving and storage company, who spent a ton of money to repaint and repair Nipper's outer shell.

If you want to see more of my photos around the Capital Region, click on this link. I may be adding to this slide show in the near future, so don't hesitate to visit it from time to time!

No comments: